RM Sotheby’s is delighted to announce final entries and the complete catalogue for its first-ever auction in the Middle East, held in partnership with Formula 1® and set for 30 November at the FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2019. The region’s first-ever major international collector car auction will feature 40 expertly curated blue-chip motor cars—coupled with a pair of Formula 1-related collectables—and is led by one of the most enviable hyper- and supercar lineups ever presented for public sale, comprising some of the world’s rarest, low-mileage supercars with blistering performance figures worthy of the discerning collector’s hypercar dream garage.
This incredible group of the most unobtainable modern hypercars in today’s market is led by a 2015 Ferrari FXX K, a model offered at public auction for the first time. The FXX K was first unveiled at Ferrari’s 2014 Finali Mondiali held at Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi as the marque’s most potent track-only, limited-production model, producing 1,035 bhp. The car set for RM Sotheby’s sale is offered from its original owner with a mere 250 km on the clock. It remains ready for its Corse Clienti event debut, a truly unique side of Ferrari on-track ownership in which owners work in close collaboration with Ferrari’s own engineers and test drivers to hone and improve their driving on some of the world’s best racetracks in a non-competitive format (Est. $4,000,000 – $4,500,000).
The FXX K is in good company at the Abu Dhabi auction with a host of hypercars from more of the hobby’s top marques set for the on-track auction block. The powerhouse includes:
- A fantastic, one-of-50 example of Maserati’s iconic 21st-century supercar, a 2005 Maserati MC12. Delivered new to Hong Kong, the MC12 has remained with its original owner ever since. It is presented with less than 1,950 miles, making it amongst the lowest-mileage examples in existence (Est. $2,600,000 – $3,500,000);
- A single-owner example of the rarest and final version of the Mercedes-Benz /McLaren SLR, a 2010 Mercedes-Benz SLR Stirling Moss. Inspired by Sir Stirling Moss’s 1955 Mille Miglia-winning 300 SLR, the car is one of just 75 examples built. Presented in virtually as-new condition with just 500 km from new, the SLR Stirling Moss is the most radical Mercedes-Benz roadster since the CLK GTR Roadster (Est. $2,550,000 – $2,750,000);
- The last ‘brand-new’ Diablo—a 2001 Lamborghini Diablo VT 6.0 SE, the 40th of 42 final 6.0 Special Editions built and perhaps the lowest-mileage example in existence, with just 18 miles from new. Factory-finished in exclusive Marrone Eklipsis paint, this Diablo would make an outstanding addition to any supercar collection, particularly for marque enthusiasts looking to acquire minimally used examples of the rarest boutique-edition cars (Est. $550,000 – $750,000);
- A groundbreaking supercar from an equally innovative company, a 2014 Koenigsegg Agera R. One of a mere 18 examples built and one of just two finished in blue carbon fibre, the Agera R boasts impressive engineering, capable of running on both petrol and E100 biofuel, producing more power on the latter at 1,140 bhp. Showing less than 4,400 miles from new, it has been recently serviced and is ready to impress (Est. $2,000,000 – $2,500,000);
- An ultra-low production version of the already mind-bending P1, a 2016 McLaren P1 GTR. The P1 GTR’s performance was meticulously upgraded to produce 986 bhp (over the road P1’s 903 bhp), with the interior stripped down in pursuit of lightness, featuring a single fixed carbon-fibre bucket seat and a steering wheel modelled on that used by Lewis Hamilton to win the 2008 Formula One World Drivers’ Championship. One of 58 examples built, the GTR on offer was delivered new to Bruce Canepa in a unique, special-order colour scheme of Canepa Green and Papaya Orange and arrives in Abu Dhabi in virtually as-new condition throughout (Est. $2,200,000 – $2,400,000);
- Created to honour McLaren’s legendary three-time Formula One World Champion, Ayrton Senna, a 2019 McLaren Senna GTR. One of just 75 examples produced, with a colossal output of 814 bhp, the Senna GTR set for Abu Dhabi is offered from its original owner with just delivery mileage (Est. $1,500,000 – $1,750,000).
“We’ve seen a continued shift in collector demographics as younger people break into the hobby, with a love for the best performance cars of their own era. Even major international concours have signaled a turning point as they add classes for modern hyper and supercars,” comments Barney Ruprecht, Car Specialist, RM Sotheby’s. “Hypercars are a segment of particular interest within the Middle East and assembling a lineup like this reflects changing market tastes while also respecting tradition. Each of the cars on offer demonstrates the heritage of their respective marque in a contemporary way. The Senna GTR and the SLR Stirling Moss pay homage to two legendary team drivers; the Agera R, much like the Zonda Aether, is one of the latest, thriving models from a recently founded manufacturer that has proven competitive, and the MC12 represents the illustrious trident at its pinnacle of engineering and design. These incredible feats of engineering will be right at home in the Formula 1 environment.”
The lineup of rare hypercars adds to the previously announced 2011 Aston Martin One-77, presented by Auction4Wildlife to benefit African Parks, the wild, one-off 2017 Pagani Zonda Aether, the Classiche certified 1990 Ferrari F40 signed by Ferrari Formula 1 driver Sebastian Vettel, and the 2015 Jaguar C-X75, featured as villain’s car in latest James Bond film Spectre.
RM Sotheby’s ground-breaking auction at the FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2019 is set for the evening of Saturday, 30 November at the stunning Yas Marina Circuit. The auction will take place on the Formula 1 grid from 9pm GST onwards. Fans and registered bidders will be able to view the cars to be auctioned over the Grand Prix™ weekend. The cars will then be paraded down the main straight and driven along the F1® pitlane for auction.
For more information on RM Sotheby’s Abu Dhabi auction, please visit rmsothebys.com. Interested bidders are invited to call RM Sotheby’s London office at +44 (0) 20 7851 7070 to speak with a car specialist. For more information about Formula 1® please visit formula1.com.